Transferable Skills and CV writing
Transferable skills are those that can be used in many different work roles.
Being able to identify the transferable skills you have is one of the most important things you can do when applying for jobs or courses. The new Information Age is affecting what skills employers really want with recent research identifying the following skills among them:
- Leadership, Management
- Interpersonal, Innovation & creativity
- People who can think for themselves, Originality
- Resilience, Problem solving
- Technical/specialist skills, IT skills
- Application of number – includes using graphs, charts & diagrams
- Sales/marketing skills, Client management skills
- Willingness to learn, Enthusiasm
Every application should be tailored to the course/job or placement being applied for and should highlight your relevant transferable skills.
The Careers Wales site has a very helpful Tools and Resources section.
Unifrog, for which the school holds a licence, has a CV builder tool in its section entitled 'Drafting Application Materials'. This provides a step by step approach in an easy to use format.