National Support School
Redborne Upper School was designated a National Support School in 2016 following our principal’s appointment as a National leader of Education.
We work closely with a range of schools, offering support in many areas, including:
- Offering bespoke training and advisory work with English, mathematics and science departments
- Providing leadership support and training
- Ofsted preparation
- Sharing our nationally recognised expertise in the management and use of data
- Working with UTCs and other new or developing institutions
- Helping other schools to address areas of concern or development, through consultation and training
- Bespoke CPD training with a focus on teaching and learning including positive behaviour management, differentiation, the inspirational teacher, questioning and active learning.
- Support for improving the outcomes of disadvantaged students, lower prior attainment and most able students.
- Leadership of School Direct Initial Teacher Training
We work in partnership with the University of Bedfordshire as a teacher training provider: one of our colleagues is seconded to the University two days per week as their School Partnership Advisor. This partnership also offers Teacher Subject Specialism Training programmes in both secondary mathematics and physics. Programmes run from late October to mid-June.
We offer a highly developed and well regarded ITT professional development programme to trainees placed in our school and are pleased to offer support to other schools in this area.
Our work with UTCs is supported by The Baker Dearing Trust.
We provide facilities for the delivery of training (the Alexander Centre) which is available for external hire. We organise an extensive Professional Study Group Programme of approximately 80 meetings a year where excellent practitioners facilitate meetings to share good practice and address areas of need. Additionally, we have considerable experience in offering bespoke professional development opportunities.
Nigel Croft – principal and NLE who provides leadership support across schools nationwide
Sarah King – strategic leader of the NSS. Sarah teaches English and Film, and is subject leader of film and a past head of year. Sarah specialises in behaviour management, pastoral leadership and questioning strategies
Teresa Farrow – PSG Programme Leader, Teresa has worked in Central Bedfordshire Schools since 2004 and in the delivery of Professional Development opportunities since 2006.
Jon Gunn – School Direct Lead and University of Bedfordshire School Partnership Advisor. Jon is also a geography teacher and former subject leader and head of faculty.
Claire Crowther – NQT Co-ordinator, teacher of vocational and technology subjects. Claire has extensive expertise in CPD, staff induction, mentoring and coaching staff.
Kathleen Eldridge – Professional Tutor to all trainees at Redborne and Subject Leader of Religious Studies. Kathleen coordinates the professional studies training programme and supports mentors in school.
If you would like to discuss the possibility of some support for your school or institution, please feel free to contact Sarah King, strategic leader of the NSS, on email@example.com or on 01525 842679